Mares Under Saddle

When I go out into an arena with mares I do a quick scan to see if any are standing around without a saddle or rider.  I know that the arena is not where I normally get to have visits with mares before mounting the dummy, but a stallion is always on the lookout for a mare who is ready.

I also know that if I am under saddle with a rider that there will be no visiting. I don't pay too much attention to the mares under saddle unless they are paying attention to me and then I usually just give them a little peak or nicker when I go by.

A mare standing around the arena without a saddle is a little confusing for me especially if she is noticing me. The mares in the paddock next to the outdoor arena can be very distracting!  Sometimes they come over to the fence and watch and even call out to me.  It is all I can do to watch where I am going, but if I can ignore them long enough they usually leave.

So please, if you have a mare in or near an arena where a stallion is working - keep her saddle on and focused on her work and he will do the same. A bare backed mare can be an enticing invitation for a stallion. Even the gentleman who knows she is not for him is having a hard time keeping his attention where it belongs.

Mares under saddle are off limits.  So is a stallion - some mares don't seem to have gotten this message.


Let me know what you think by leaving me a comment below - I love hearing from you.



No comments: